Turf Removal Program
NOTICE TURF REMOVAL REBATE LOWERED
In partnership with the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California’s (Metropolitan) SoCal Water$mart Program, Anaheim Public Utilities customers have been able to receive $3 per square foot of turf removed up to 1,000 sq. ft. for residents and $2 per square foot up to 1,500 sq. ft. for commercial customers. Due to the program’s popularity, Metropolitan’s funding has been completely subscribed and the enhanced rebate is no longer available.
Effective July 10, 2015, Anaheim Public Utilities customers will still be able to apply for a rebate of $1 per square foot of turf removed up to 1,000 sq. ft. for residents and up to 1,500 sq. ft. for commercial customers.
Anaheim Public Utilities customers are also able to apply for a Zero-Interest Turf Removal Loan to help with upfront costs of their approved turf removal projects, which is payable on utility bills over 24 months. Loan limits: up to $5,000 for residents and up to $10,000 for businesses.
*Please note that Anaheim’s $1 per square foot rebate and loan program are subject to available funding.
Turf Removal Rebate Requirements
In order to be eligible for a rebate, you must apply and receive project start approval before removing any turf (grass). The converted area must meet minimum requirements,
- Must install a native and/or California Friendly Garden or artificial turf.
- 50 Favorites for California Friendly Landscapes
- Quick Tips for a California Friendly Garden
- Top 10 California Friendly Plants
- Local Plant Nurseries
- New front yard and/or parkway projects must follow City of Anaheim Landscaping Requirements. Prior to installation, the Anaheim Planning Department must review and approve the proposed landscape design, and if applicable, the artificial turf product before it is purchased. Please call a Planner at 714-765-5139 for assistance.
- Converted areas may not include any live turf or turf-looking grasses and must be permeable to air and water. Concrete and other impermeable surfaces will be disqualified.
- Exposed soil must be covered with a 2-3” mulch layer to prevent erosion
- No invasive plants will be used. For more information, visit the California Invasive Plant Inventory.
- Set up an account with a valid email address and password at socalwatersmart.com.
- Submit the ONLINE application with a copy of your water bill and at least 5 photos of the area where turf (grass) will be removed. View the photo guidelines.
- After receiving a reservation (review process can take up to 6 weeks), you must complete your turf removal project and submit your rebate request within 120 days. This includes submission of at least 5 photos of the completed project, copy of your most recent water bill, and if applicable, copy of artificial turf receipt.