Library History

  1. 1872 - 1907
  2. 1908 - 1959
  3. 1960 - 1997
  4. 2002 - Present
It All Started in a Candy Store...
1872 P.A. Clark and H.S. Austin plan to establish a circulating library in Anaheim
August 1873 Formal opening
April 1884 Reverend H.J. Sheridan proposed to organize a Young Men's Social Club and establish a reading room stocked with the best newspapers and books, in a building on Los Angeles Street (now Anaheim Boulevard) south of the Masonic Hall
March 1886 The Town Trustees (now City Council) began to discuss the need for a place "where young people can pass an evening among refining influences and in adding to their store of knowledge"
February 1901 Cornelius Bruce offered room in his Candy Store between Los Angeles and Claudina streets on Center Street, to establish a library and act as librarian for a salary of $12 a month
August 1902 The Board of Trustees established the municipally supported Anaheim Public Library and accepted an offer to transfer all 672 books and other property (a set of bookshelves, a reading table and 2 rocking chairs) from the Free Library to the city library
September 1902 Fees were $1 per year, 60 cents for 6 months, 25 cents for 1 month or less
July 1906 President and secretary of Library Board appointed to visit Fullerton Library to inquire of the method of securing a Carnegie Library
September 1906 City Clerk authorized to write Andrew Carnegie requesting information about securing a library building for Anaheim
November 1906 Library expands to rooms in new Candy Kitchen
February 1907 city Clerk receives confirmation from Andrew Carnegie's secretary, James Bertram, that $10,000 would be provided if the city agrees to terms of the grant
July 1907 Site Committee collected $2,652.59 from residents to buy Building Lot #45, paying William and Adelheid Konig $2,400
December 1907 Richard Fischle advised Library Board that he had rented the library premises to a barber when the library lease expires on January 1, 1908. Library collection to be moved to Anaheim Chamber of Commerce rooms until new library building is ready for occupancy
December 1907
Library Board accepts architectural plans of John Austin of Los Angeles. City trustees reject plan and advertise for additional architects