What's In a Name

"Ana" refers to the Santa Ana River and "heim" is the German word for home. The city's early pioneers considered this location to be their "home by the river."

Glover Stadium
This stadium in La Palma Park is named for Dick Glover, who worked for the Anaheim Union High School District for 40 years.

Yorba Regional Park
Yorba Regional Park was dedicated in 1976 and named for the first European family to settle in Orange County. Jose Antonio Yorba was part of Portola's expedition across California in the 1700s. Enchanted by the land, he returned in 1810 to settle with his family.

Pearson Park
This park is named for Charles A. Pearson, mayor from 1945 to 1959.

The Town Center Shopping Center
The Town Center Shopping Center, at the southwest corner of Lincoln Avenue and Anaheim Boulevard, is the exact center of the original German colony. North, South, East and West streets mark the outer boundaries of the town set by George Hansen in 1857.

Dee Field in Glover Stadium
The field is named in honor of the groundskeeper who maintained the fields there for 40 years.

Pacifico Street
This street is named after Don Pacifico Ontiveros, who sold the land on which the colony was built to Anaheim pioneer George Hansen.

Gene Autry Way
The street that leads into the stadium's main gate was changed from Pacifico Street in 1991 to honor the man who introduced professional sports to Orange County.

Gypsum Canyon Road
The only active mine in Anaheim is located here. Gypsum is a substance used in making plaster of Paris.

Coal Canyon Road
Named for the Black Star coal mine. The mine provided coal to the trains that passed through the depot in the 1800s.

Streets and alleys in Anaheim were not owned by the city until 1951. The Los Angeles Vineyard Society deeded them to the Anaheim Water Company in 1860. The early farmers considered water a higher priority than roads.