I received a Section 8 Rental Assistance Intake Application Packet by mail; now what?
- Read the instructions carefully and fill out the application to the best of your ability. If you don't know the answer, you will have the opportunity to ask at your appointment.
- Begin to gather all the documents requested as soon as possible. Some documents may take time to gather; not having them will delay receiving assistance.
- Mail back the application along with all the documents requested by the "mail back date" on the application letter. If you are missing documents, send what you have, and bring the rest to your eligibility screening appointment.
- We will communicate with you by mail.
When will I be contacted after I send in my packet?
- It is not necessary to call to check if we received your packet.
- 30 to 60 days after we receive your packet, you will receive an appointment letter with the date of your eligibility screening.
- At this time you will also be provided a notice of missing documents to bring to your appointment.
- Do your best to have all missing documents ready to bring in to your appointment. (Do not mail them in before your appointment.)
Who must attend the appointment and why?
- Everyone 18 years or older that lives in the household and is part of your application must attend the appointment.
- If anyone 18 years or older cannot attend the appointment, you must request a new appointment date in writing prior to the date of the appointment. You will need to provide the reason why you cannot attend the original appointment date.
- If it is determined that the family can proceed with the application process, everyone over 18 years old will be finger-printed to commence a background check to determine final eligibility.
When will I get a voucher (or referral if applying for a Project Based (PBV) property)?
- Once your background-check is complete, you will receive a notice by phone or mail to attend the next briefing appointment. At this meeting you will get information about the program and about your responsibilities as a program participant. Then you will receive the voucher.
- All adults 18 years old or older must attend the briefing appointment.
- If you or any adult in the family did not pass the background-check, you will receive a notice by mail.
How long does this entire process take?
- The entire process takes approximately 60 to 90 days to complete. When large groups of families are going through the process at the same time, it can take longer than 90 days from start to finish.
- Having all your documents when you mail back the application and/or at the screening appointment will help expedite the process.