Turf grass is one of the most water-intensive plants in your landscape. Its high water and frequent maintenance needs make it a time-consuming, expensive option.
If you choose to remove your irrigated turf grass to reduce your outdoor water use, you can receive $3 per square foot of removed turf to reward you for doing your part to save water in Southern California!
In order to be eligible for a rebate, live turf must be removed and the converted area must meet minimum requirements, including:
- Converted areas may not include any live turf and must be permeable to air and water. Weed barriers and hardscape must be permeable as well.
- Exposed soil must be covered with a 2-3” mulch layer to prevent erosion.
- No invasive plants are used. View the California Invasive Plant Inventory.
- Consider installing artificial turf or planting a California Friendly® garden, which consists of drought tolerant and native plants that need minimal irrigation once established.
- Maximum area eligible for turf rebate is 2,500 sq. ft. for residential and 5,000 sq. ft. for commercial property.
Rebates are available by reservation only. To receive your rebate:
- Qualify through the pre-approval process, which includes an online application (via SoCalWaterSmart.com), copy of your water bill, and submission of 4 to 5 photos of the area where turf will be removed.
- After receiving a reservation (review process take about 2 weeks), you must complete your turf removal project and submit your rebate request within 120 days. This includes submission of photos of the finished project area, the most recent water bill, and a synthetic turf receipt (if applicable).
- Upon approval of the request, you will receive a rebate check (following a 6-8 processing time).The turf removal project must not begin until you receive a reservation in order to be eligible for a rebate.
City of Anaheim Landscaping Requirements
|Front Yard Landscaping
||Applicants are required to have 50% of the area where turf was removed planted with live landscaping. Artificial turf may be used in lieu of natural turf in front, side, and rear yards for up to 100% coverage or in combination with all other natural non-turf materials.|
||Applicants are required to have 50% of the area where turf was removed with live groundcover. Trees must be approved by the City.|
|Artificial Turf/ Quality Standards
||Artificial turf shall be of a type known as cut pile infill and shall be manufactured from polypropylene, polyethelene, or a blend of polypropylene and polyethleyene fibers stitched onto a polypropylene or polyurethane meshed or hole-punched backing. Hole-punched backings shall have holes spaced in a uniform grid pattern with spacing not to exceed four inches by six inches on center.|
|Artificial Turf/ Installation
||Artificial turf shall be installed over a compacted and porous road base material and shall be anchored at all edges and seams. Seams shall be glued and not sewn. An infill medium consisting of ground rubber, ground coal slag, clean washed sand and ground rubber, or other approved mixture shall be brushed into the fibers to insure that the fibers remain in an upright position and to provide ballast that will help hold the turf in place and provide a cushioning effect. Artificial turf must consist of pile fibers a minimum height of 1-3/4" and a proper drainage system shall be installed underneath the turf to prevent excessive run-off or pooling.|
Turf removal and artificial turf installation project in the City of Anaheim.
Visit the Turf Removal Program FAQs page to learn more.
For rebate application assistance, call 714.765.4203 / 714.765.5029 or email email@example.com.