Turf grass is one of the most water-intensive plants in your landscape. Its high water and frequent maintenance needs make it a time-consuming, expensive option.
If you choose to remove some of your irrigated turf grass to reduce your outdoor water use, you can receive $2 per square foot of removed turf to reward you for doing your part to save water in Southern California!
In order to be eligible for a rebate, the converted area must meet minimum requirements, including:
- Converted areas may not include any live turf and must be permeable to air and water. Weed barriers and hardscape must be permeable as well.
- Exposed soil must be covered with a 2-3” layer to prevent erosion.
- No invasive plants are used.
- Consider planting a California Friendly® garden using drought tolerant and native plants that need minimal irrigation once established.
Rebates are available by reservation only. To receive your rebate:
- Qualify through the pre-approval process, which includes an application, copy of your water bill, and submission of 4 to 5 photos of the area where turf will be removed.
- After receiving a reservation, you must complete your turf removal project and submit your rebate request within 120 days.
- Upon approval of the request, you will receive a rebate check.The turf removal project must not begin until you receive a reservation in order to be eligible for a rebate.
Visit the Turf Removal Program FAQs page to learn more.