Home Residents Businesses Visitors Departments Online Services Quick Links Home
Anaheim Police Department History: 1880


1879-1880 - DAN R. PAYNE

Louis Wartenberg continued to serve as Marshal until 1879. On April 28, 1879 another election was held in the township of Anaheim. Dan R. Payne was the successful candidate running for the position of Town Marshal. His nomination was approved at the next regular scheduled meeting of the Board of Trustees. The township ran quietly without any major known incidents for the next year as Marshal Payne served the community. He held this position for one full year, losing the election of 1880.

1880-1882 - RICHARD M. BARHAM

On April 26,1880, the voters turned out in low numbers to select Richard M. Barham as the new Anaheim Town Marshal. Dick Barham was very well liked by early Anaheim pioneers and was considered to be a courteous, kindly and genial gentleman. He was also known to be handy with a firearm, having a reputation for being the speediest man on the trigger around. Barham had served as a constable years earlier and had also been a member of Marshal Dye Davies early day posse on many occasions. At the following meeting of the Board of Trustees, members of the board approved the bond that Richard Barham was required to submit in order to serve as the chief law enforcement officer of town. Activities throughout the city were relatively quiet and no major incidents or crimes were noted. As with many of his predecessors, Barham also served as a Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff at the same time that he served as an Anaheim Town Marshal and Constable.

Marshal Dick Barham maintained a longtime friendship with former Marshal Dye Davies. Although many a friendly game of poker were played by Barham and Davies during the early years of the town, the friendship dissolved when the two competed against each other in a municipal election for the position of town Marshal.

Although much smaller and older than Davies, Dick Barham was much faster with his gun. One day, Davies and Barham gathered at the downtown Enterprise Saloon. During a relatively calm dispute, Dye Davies attempted to draw his ever-ready gun, but Barham beat him to it and disarmed his former friend.

Criminal activity and law enforcement duties were slow during these years, allowing the Marshal to concentrate on many of his other duties. Anaheimers were warned by the local newspapers that "Marshal Barham is enforcing a dog ordinance and owners of respectable canines should procure a tag at once."

Vagrancy was considered to be a crime that was widespread during the period and was of major concern to the town fathers. Constable Bohn continued to assist the Marshal in keeping the Anaheim Township peaceful. On March 6th of 1880, Mr. B. J. Snodgrass also became a part time constable of this township. According to advertisements in a local newspaper, he could be found during normal business hours in the office of Victor Montgomery, Esquire. This same issue of the Anaheim Gazette reported that "a sum has been prescribed by our people for the purpose of employing two watchmen to patrol the streets at night. A meeting will be held tonight at the Planters Hotel to which all who subscribe to the fund are urgently invited for the purpose of deciding who shall have the position of watchmen. A proposition which has been made to employ Fred W. Eatherns as mounted watchman meets with the general favor and will probably result in his employment by the meeting tonight. A mounted guard will undoubtedly be a greater protection than to have a dozen unmounted men." During his term as Marshal, Dick Barham and his family resided on Broadway between Los Angeles and Lemon Streets.

The Marshal employed a handy man in his household known commonly throughout Anaheim as "Indian George". Indian George was both a good worker and a pleasant man, but enjoyed imbibing in alcoholic beverages all too well. On the occasion when he was under the influence, which was often, Indian George became a hostile and dangerous man. One evening while in his intoxicated state, Indian George went about the Barham household angrily proclaiming that he was going to kill the Marshal when he came home from work.

Guy Barham, a son of the Marshal, had been following the drunk handyman throughout the house during the entire afternoon and heard the threats. Later in the evening, as the Marshal was preparing to return home from work, Indian George hid in the shrubbery outside of the Marshal's residence to lie in wait for the Marshal. Without the knowledge of Indian George, Guy Barham also hid in a rose bush a few feet behind, keeping a close eye on the handyman. Arriving at his home, the Marshal crossed the footbridge directly in front of his residence. Before Indian George could act, Guy jumped up and shouted a warning to his father. Indian George sprang up and began his attack on the Marshal. Within seconds, Marshal Barham's revolver was in the handyman's face. The drunken handyman was disarmed, controlled and marched to the Anaheim City Jail. Waking up the following morning, he was quite contrite and penitent. It was Marshal Barham's intention to overlook the misdeed, but Indian George's employment was terminated at the insistence of Mrs. Barham and family members. Instructed by the Marshal to leave town, Indian George moved to Arizona. He was later killed as a result of his involvement in another altercation.

Obviously the citizens of this German town were pleased with the work of Marshal Barham, as they re-elected him at the next election on April 27,1881. With the assistance of his constables, they diligently maintained the peace and tranquility of this small community, also collecting the required taxes and performing their many duties. In 1882, Dick Barham chose to run again for the position of Town Marshal, but was unsuccessful in his bid. After losing this election, Dick Barham continued to serve Anaheim as a town constable for a short period, and later moved to Los Angeles.

1882 - 1883 - F.W. TYLER

In the election on April 24, 1882, F.W. Tyler was elected to the position of Marshal. Together with Constables Barham and Bohn, they served an uneventful term patrolling the streets of Anaheim. In searching through city records, no major incidents were noted.

It is believed that the townspeople of this small city lived quietly, slowly building their town. Tyler held office for one term only, defeated in the next election by E.A. Pullen. Although not re-elected as Marshal, Tyler did not leave law enforcement completely. He became a policeman with the Los Angeles City Police Force, advancing to the rank of Captain by June of 1887.

1883 - 1884 - ELISHA A. PULLEN

Known throughout Anaheim as E.A. Pullen, Elisha Pullen was selected by the voters of Anaheim to serve as their Town Marshal in April of 1883. The voters again selected Rudolph Bohn to continue serving them as town constable. For the fixed salary of $5.00 per month, E.A. Pullen performed the duties of town Marshal, ex officio public pound keeper, ex officio tax collector and member of the Board of Health. Along with maintaining law and order, Marshal Pullen was also required to collect road poll taxes and to seize property in cases of payment delinquency. In June of 1883, the City Council instructed Pullen to collect $5.00 from each wash house for the use of water. One month later, the City Council gave Pullen the added responsibility of insuring that all city streets were properly cleaned, replacing gravel as needed.

For the additional fee on 25 cents per license, Elisha Pullen issued liquor sale licenses, entertainment licenses, traveling merchant and hawker licenses, business licenses and auctioneer licenses. The cleanliness of the town was overwhelmingly on the mind of the council as they continued to assign additional responsibilities to the Marshal. Both Marshal Pullen and Constable Bohn were required to attend all meetings of the Board of trustees in order to keep the meeting room in proper condition. The Marshal was required to compel the owners of filthy premises to remove same to abate the evil, prosecuting those in violation. Of course, Marshal Pullen insured that his town prison was also kept secure and in a high state of cleanliness. It is with little wonder why Marshal Pullen chose to serve as Town Marshal for only one term, relinquishing his title to newly elected Anaheim Town Marshal Fred C. Smythe on April 28,1884.

1884 - 1889 - FRED C. SMYTHEMarshal Fred C. Smythe

Fred C. Smythe was elected to the position of town Marshal at the age of 27. Born in the city of Los Angeles in the same year Anaheim was founded, Fred Smythe was the oldest of nine children. At the age of eleven, Fred moved away from his family and began working to support himself.

As town Marshal, F.C. Smythe oversaw such a quiet town that the local newspaper often wrote "Not a single police item, not even an animated discussion between two canine quadrupeds to break the unvarying tranquility of the departed week. Tis true the butcher's wagon ran away Sunday morning, but it does that every Sabbath morning, and that too has become monotonous."

As with his predecessor, Marshal Smythe also performed the duties of Town Constable, night watchman and tax collector. He was given the extra responsibility of insuring that all houses in Anaheim were kept free of garbage and weeds. Additionally, Marshal Smythe was the Secretary/ Treasurer of the Anaheim Hook and Ladder Company and served as Deputy Sheriff for the County of Los Angeles.

On April 30, 1888, Marshal Smythe was again re-elected as Marshal, but served only a partial term, ending his term in the early part on 1889. In July of that year, Smythe was elected to the office of Assessor for the County of Orange. It was during this same election that the legislature validated the action of the Board of Supervisors and again incorporated the town of Anaheim.