Home Residents Businesses Visitors Departments Online Services Quick Links Home
Anaheim Police Department History: 1890



On January 2, 1889, the City Trustees selected John Landell to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of Smythe. John Landell was familiar with the job as he had previously been appointed by Smythe to the position of Deputy Marshal four months prior.


Since the county seat was located in Los Angeles, the citizens of this territory felt that their needs were not being met and voted to separate from Los Angeles County. The vote of local residents chose Santa Ana as the site of the new county seat, over strong opposition of the Anaheim community who wanted their town to be the county seat. On August 1, 1889, the County of Orange was officially organized. Among the list of benefits of having a new county, Marshals and Constables were no longer required to travel the lengthy distance to Los Angeles with their prisoners for trials. The formation of a new county also meant that the Sheriff of Orange County would be assisting Anaheim law enforcement officers. John Landell was re-elected to the position of City Marshal in 1890 by a 54-vote margin. The 24-year-old Landell was the first Marshal whose duties were directly aimed at strictly enforcing laws. During his term, there was a heavy influx of Orientals moving into the city. Next to the Germans, the Chinese were the second largest group in the city. They began moving into Anaheim as early as 1870 and established a relatively large Chinatown section in downtown Anaheim, which continued well into the 1920's. Much of Landell's time was spent on raiding Chinese gambling houses in his attempt to clean up the city, but all too often the offenders received only light sentences or fines, and quickly set up shop again. Anaheim's vice problem kept the Marshal fairly busy.

Dissatisfied by the small office quarters he inhabited in which to collect taxes, Marshal Landell asked for an extra four dollars a month so that he could move his office away from the jail to a more suitable location. The board granted his request, moving him to an office adjoining Fox and Butler's Barber Shop. Landell held the office of Anaheim Marshal until 1891, but he continued to serve as town constable until January 1, 1895. After serving as City Marshal, he became a Deputy Sheriff for the County of Los Angeles under Sheriff Martin Aguirre, and later became a Deputy Sheriff of Orange County. In later years, John Landell moved to San Juan Capistrano where he became a justice of the peace, a position he held for twelve years. By 1921, Mr. Landell was enjoying his life as a rancher, expert walnut grower and proprietor of an oil and auto service station in a city just south of San Juan Capistrano. John Landell passed away in 1939 and was laid to rest in the historic Anaheim Cemetery.

1891 - 1892 - HENRY C. GADE

In April of 1891, a forty-five year old Wisconsin native, H.C. Gade was elected as Anaheim City Marshal, Tax Collector and member of the Anaheim School Board. Files and newspaper accounts do not list any significant incidents or crimes, leading us to believe that 1891 and 1892 was a quiet period for Henry Gade and his Constables. Gade only served for a one-year term. Upon departing from his position as Marshal, H.C. Gade became a truck man and operated the Olympic Billiard Parlor.


N.F. Steadman held the office of Marshal for many years, but in broken terms. He was first elected to the office of Marshal in 1892 and held the position until 1910. After taking a break from the field of law enforcement, he returned to office and served as Marshal from 1919 to 1923. Originally from Oregon, Frank Steadman came to Anaheim and worked in the butcher business. Popular among the townspeople, he was encouraged to take the position of Marshal.

Although he originally turned down the encouraging supporters, he soon reversed his decision and agreed to wear the Marshals' star. In 1892, Frank Steadman assumed the role of Anaheim City Marshal at the age of thirty-four. As one might expect from a small but growing city, Steadman had a fairly uneventful experience as Marshal as did many of his predecessors. Although no major incidents occurred during his term, it is evident that Marshal Steadman took great pride in his job and carried out his duties faithfully and fairly. Every month, Frank Steadman attended the meetings of the Board of Trustees to report on the amount of water and electricity revenue he had collected. Noticing that the population of dogs had increased, City Trustees recognized that this problem could be a source of revenue. Trustees enacted a dog license ordinance and directed the Marshal to enforce the new law. To insure that the new taxes were paid, they gave Marshal Steadman the power to shoot any animal that was not licensed. For the most part, the Marshal was responsible for most odd jobs of the City Trustees, including insuring that city debts were taken care of. When the need arose, Marshal Steadman and his Constables did not hesitate to put the strong arm of the law on those who were delinquent on tax payments. On those nights when the City Trustees felt that city lights needed to stay on past mid-night, Marshal Steadman was instructed to insure that the lights remained illuminated.

When the need arose, Marshal Steadman was quick to incarcerate lawbreakers, but the condition of the city jail failed to meet the standards and pleasure of the Grand Jury. In 1895, the County Grand Jury found the Anaheim Jail to be in "filthy and loathsome condition...without any conveniences for the prisoners and altogether unsuitable for their confinement."

After the Grand Jury report was published, Steadman and the City Trustees began their search for ways to improve the jail, including the possible relocation to a new site. As the century came to a close and the dawn of a new era approached, Steadman worked hard to remain a fair and easygoing officer of the law. Always having time for his public, Steadman made himself available anytime of the day or night, ready to lend a hand or an ear. The 41-year-old Marshal could be reached by simply dialing telephone number 763. When not in his office, residents could find him at his home located at the corner of Claudina and Broadway.