For Kids & Families
Early literacy is what children know about reading and writing before they actually learn to read and write. Early Literacy is not the teaching of reading. It is building a foundation for reading through a set of positive interactions so that when they are taught to read, they are ready. The interactions that children have with books, paper, crayon, music and the adults in their lives will be their building blocks for language, reading and writing development.
Resources for Teachers
During the school year, we encourage teachers and students to take full advantage of the many materials and services offered by Anaheim Public Library. We have homework resources, reading lists, reading programs, library tours, and more.
We can help students in the following ways:
- Assist them in finding sources in the reference collection
- Demonstrate the use of the online library catalog and how to find materials in our collection
- Instruct them in the use of the periodical and newspaper indexes and locating those materials
- Offer bibliographies and advice on finding fiction or literature appropriate to their age and reading level
- Guide them on how to use their neighborhood library and its free resources
- The Student Success portal provides access to the Library's free educational resources for students.