Overhead Electrical Upgrade/Relocation 

Upgrading or Relocating Residential Overhead Electric Service Panel

Overhead elecrical panel

Contact Us

  1. Electrical Engineering

    Call: 714-765-5156 or Email
    ACH/Hearing Impaired 
    TDD: 714-765-5125

    Mon. - Fri.: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Anaheim West Tower
    201 S. Anaheim Blvd. 
    Anaheim, CA 92805 Map

    Utilities Directory

Step 1: Application & Meter Spot

  • Contact Customer Service by telephone to apply for upgraded electrical service and meter installation. If you prefer, you may also apply in-person at Anaheim West Tower or online.
  • A utility inspector will contact you within 2 business days to schedule a time to check acceptable locations for your electrical panel and give you guidance to avoid costly rework. The utility inspector will check the outdoor utility wires and location of where to connect to your panel, and can answer any questions about your project.
  • Upon approval of your panel location, you will be given a meter spot report - please keep this with you to present to a building inspector at a later time.

Step 2: Consultation

  • The utility inspector will inform you if changes are required.
  • If no changes are required we will make the connections at no charge. Proceed to step 4.
  • If changes are required, we'll have to charge the costs specific to your project. Our electrical designer will prepare an Electric Service Plan and inform you of the associated costs. This will take about 2 weeks. Plans will be available for pick up at Anaheim West Tower, mailed, or e-mailed to you and your contractor.
  • You will be billed for service costs associated with preparing the electric service plan and any associated installation and inspection performed by the utility. The bill will have instructions on how you can pay your fees by mail or over the counter at the cashier’s office at Anaheim West Tower.
  • If you are interested in undergrounding your overhead electrical lines and are willing to install the plastic conduits for new underground wires, you may be eligible to receive an incentive rebate as part of the Home Undergrounding Programing  (HUG).
HUG Application

Step 3: City Building Permit

  • A City Building Permit is needed to make sure your home is in compliance with the building code. You can apply for a city building permit over the counter at City Hall, located at 200 S. Anaheim Blvd., by calling 714-765-5153, or online. There is a separate fee for the building permit.

Step 4: Construction & Inspection

  • Once all the approvals have been obtained, you can have your contractor install the electrical panel. There are two sets of final inspections needed.
  • First, contact the building inspector at 714-765-4626 to approve the panel installation and house wiring. 
  • Second, contact the utility inspector at 714-765-6847 to verify that the installation is ready and safe for power to be turned on. Upon utility inspector installation approval, a service crew will be scheduled to energize your panel within 3-5 business days. If you prefer to schedule installation for a specific time/date, please let the utility inspector know.